I had my ceramics class last night, which I am treating myself to as a way to experiment, play, and learn new things about my art making practice (I am more of a 2D artist). Class is so fun too– it is awesome to be able to socialize with a great group of people. This week we made pinch pot forms and had the choice to turn them into a teapot or a jar. I have never done either, so I decided to do both, but I only worked on the teapot this week.
We started by making a pinch pot and smoothed it on the inside and out. Then we made a “cookie” (a clay disk) the same thickness as our pinch pots and scored and slipped it to the opening of the pinch pot so it was now enclosed. We trimmed off any excess clay, and rolled the clay blob a little to smooth out the join.
Using a paddle, we formed our closed pinch pots into spheres, changing the shape how we chose too. I made little a pear and an egg shaped form. Because this is essentially a giant air bubble, when we were ready, we stuck a needle tool into the top of the form to allow air out with any further paddling, so there wasn’t stress on the clay walls.
Then is was time to think about overall design. I purchased these really cool Martha Stewart press molds at Joann Fabric and Crafts a couple weeks ago, and I really wanted to use them. I dusted some of the leaf molds with cornstarch and pressed my clay into the molds. The cornstarch allows the clay to release easily and makes for a really clear impression. I decided to make a coiled vine for the handle of my lid, and began attaching my pieces.
I wanted to play with proportion for the spout, so next I made a little cone shape and stuck a pencil tool through the middle. I carefully rolled the shape out, with the pencil tool still through the inside, and used it to thin the walls of the cone. When I was satisfied with my spout, I attached it as well.
I still have to cut off the lid, but I don’t think I am going to give it a handle. It fits really nicely in the hand, and it probably will be for decoration and not actually be a functional teapot anyway. For the final steps, I will coat this little guy with some underglaze and do some sgraffito designs in the surface.
Stat tuned for the final product in a couple weeks!